At least 20 people were killed in a Sunday night shootout at a venue often used for hosting illegal betting on cockfights in Mexico’s western state of Michoacan. Michoacan and neighbouring Guanajuato are two of Mexico’s most violent states due to turf wars between rival gangs involved in drug trafficking and other illegal activities, such as trade in stolen fuel. Several powerful drug-trafficking gangs operate in the area and battle each other for control of strategic territory. Michoacan is also the world’s biggest avocado-producing region.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho