Statistics South Africa has released the latest unemployment data, which showed a record rate of joblessness. News24 reports that South Africa’s official unemployment rate increased by 0.4 of a percentage point to 35.3% in the fourth quarter of 2021 – the highest since the start of the Quarterly Labour Force Survey in 2008. The number of employed persons increased to 14.5 million, while the number of unemployed persons also increased to 7.9 million.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho