Heavily armed Al-Shabaab jihadist fighters on Tuesday attacked a military base in Somalia where African Union peacekeepers are stationed, causing casualties, a local military commander and witnesses said. The AFP news agency reports that the pre-dawn raid targeted a camp housing Burundian troops near Ceel Baraf village about 160 kilometres northeast of the capital Mogadishu, but there was no immediate comment from the African Union’s mission in Somalia.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho