The International Atomic Energy Agency expressed “grave concern” Thursday over the situation at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant amid Russia’s military intervention in Ukraine. This, the Anadalu News Agency reports, after Kyiv lost control of the plant after a fierce battle with Russian forces. The condition of the plant’s facilities, a confinement shelter, and a repository for nuclear waste is unknown but Al Jazeera quotes a former adviser to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, as saying the threat to Europe from the incapacitated nuclear facility needs to be taken extremely seriously.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho