A Bangladesh court sentenced five men to death Thursday for the 2012 gang-rape of a 15-year-old girl, amid growing public anger over rampant sexual violence. The AFP reports that the sentence was handed down in the northern district of Tangailby a special tribunal set up to deal with cases of abuse against women and children. It was the first conviction since the government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina this week introduced the death penalty for rape.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria