The survival of small business owners and craft breweries is in peril due to the alcohol ban, says the Beer Association of South Africa, issuing an urgent call to President Cyril Ramaphosa to lift the ban. Times Live reports that the association said it was aware of the severity of the Covid-19 crisis and understood the difficulties faced by both the government and citizens as infections surged. It expressed an interest in working with the government to save lives and livelihoods but warned that it is “no longer a question of keeping businesses open – it has become a question of whether business owners, their employees and families will have any food to eat this month”.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria