Delivering a joint statement on behalf of 47 countries, Paul Bekkers, the Dutch ambassador to the UN in Geneva, voiced concern at the UN Human Rights Council about alleged abuses in China’s far western Xinjiang region. Al Jazeera reports that, saying that there were a number of “credible reports” indicating that more than one million Uighurs and other Muslim minorities have been arbitrarily detained, and subjected to torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, Bekkers demanded that rights chief Michelle Bachelet publish a long-delayed report on the situation there.
- Plans Retrench Civil Servants Not Key: Scrap Deputy Ministers, Governors, SOEs, Cut Cabinet Ministers
- Zambia warns against anti-gay protest during Harris visit
- India celebrates birth of Namibian cheetah cubs
- Russia begins strategic nuclear missile exercises
- SA Food retailers pricing being scrutinised