US President Joe Biden has announced a new sanctions package against Russia, calling Moscow’s recognition of two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine as independent the “beginning of a Russian invasion” of its neighbour. The sanctions target Russia’s sovereign debt as well as two large Russian financial institutions, including the country’s military bank, Biden said, insisting that “If Russia goes further with this invasion, [they] stand prepared to go further with sanctions”. Al Jazeera reports though that Biden did also insist that the door remains open for diplomacy.
- Product codes starting with the number eight do not identify genetically modified produce
- Microsoft sees ‘new day’ in war with Google over AI search engines
- Why first 72 hours are crucial for Turkey-Syria quake rescues
- Direct support to small scale farmers reduces poverty – what Zambia is doing right
- Children pulled from rubble as Turkey-Syria quake toll tops 9,500