Botswana is currently lobbying European Union member states to back the country’s bid to host the Kimberley Process Secretariat in Gaborone ahead of China and Austria who have also shown an interest. News24 reports that President Mokgweetsi Masisi said that said Botswana – the current KP chair on a rotational basis – deserved to be considered ahead of Austria, explaining “Austria has no diamonds. The significance of Botswana diamonds on the economy is unlike any in the world; diamonds mean everything to us. Every good story you have heard about Botswana is predicated on the production, safe selling and responsible utilisation of diamonds”.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho