China’s super wealthy have earned a record $1.5 trillion in 2020, more than the past five years combined, as e-commerce and gaming boomed during pandemic lockdowns, the annual Hurun Report ‘rich list’ revealed on Tuesday. The AFP news agency reports that the country now has a total of 878 billionaires with Jack Ma, founder of e-commerce titan Alibaba, once again topping the list after his wealth surged a whopping 45 percent to $58.8 billion as online shopping firms saw a surge. But Chinese business owners and investors were not the only people to see their wealth increase in 2020 with Hurun Report chief researcher Rupert Hoogewerf highlighting that “the world has never seen this much wealth created in just one year”.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria