The German firm behind one of the first Covid vaccines has announced plans to start production in Africa. The BBC reports that BioNTech, which produced the first MRNA jab, has developed a “laboratory in a container”, which could be shipped to several countries. Scientists and workers would then produce tens of millions of doses a year, with the aim of redressing big disparities in access to vaccines. Supplies have improved, but only 11% of Africa’s population are fully jabbed. BioNTech intends to provide the containers, raw materials, and know-how at no cost.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho