In news from South Africa, News24 reports that senior DA leaders and officials in the Western Cape Government turned a blind eye to allegations of former Community Safety MEC Albert Fritz sexually assaulting young female employees for months before acting against him. JP Smith, considered a senior DA leader in the province and mayoral committee member in Cape Town, reportedly said one of Fritz’s alleged victims approached him, and he referred her to Premier Alan Winde and “party processes”. While another source said David Abrahams, head of Fritz’s ministry, already knew about the complaints in August 2021.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho