South African opposition party, the DA says it remains opposed to the Firearms Control Amendment Bill which will see self-defence removed as a valid reason for someone to own a firearm. The party is of the view the bill directly impacts on the fight against gender-based violence in the country, and Andrew Whitfield says the bill is also a threat to the hunting fraternity.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria