South Africa’s leading producer of spirits and ciders, Distell, looking to diversify amid an industry crippling alcohol ban, has bought a 20% stake in the local brand RETHINK, which produces a wide range of dagga-based products, including CBD oils, teas, and skincare items. Business Insider reports that Distell’s foray into the weed business, which is expected to be worth R14 billion, with predictions of a surge towards R28 billion by 2024, is expected to fast-track the sector’s growth, with the company looking to contribute its expertise in distribution and marketing as part of the new acquisition.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria