Five on-duty City of Johannesburg security guards were shot and killed at the landfill site belonging to the municipality, four dying on the scene on Tuesday evening, while a fifth succumbed in hospital on Wednesday. News24 quotes the mayoral committee member for environment and infrastructure services, Michael Sun, as saying that the tragic incident also left two guards injured. Operations at the landfill site have stopped while all in-sourced guards will be reassigned and Sun said all security guards who were on-duty at the time of the incident would be referred to a wellness programme. While the motive for the shooting remains unclear a case of murder and attempted murder has been opened.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho