Budget cuts for the Electoral Commission of South Africa could undermine democracy, says advocacy group My Vote Counts. This after News24 reported last week that the IEC’s budget had been cut by almost R770 million over the next three years, with the IEC saying that the 2024 elections would be unchartered territory. The Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs, to which the IEC presented its annual performance plan and budget last week, also said that, while it was cognisant of the fiscal pressures facing South Africa, it believed that underfunding this important pillar of South Africa’s democracy should be reconsidered to ensure that democratic processes were not undercut.
- Plans Retrench Civil Servants Not Key: Scrap Deputy Ministers, Governors, SOEs, Cut Cabinet Ministers
- Zambia warns against anti-gay protest during Harris visit
- India celebrates birth of Namibian cheetah cubs
- Russia begins strategic nuclear missile exercises
- SA Food retailers pricing being scrutinised