Two former Ivory Coast presidents and long-term political rivals, Laurent Gbagbo and Henri Konan Bédié, have announced that they are teaming up to oppose the current head of state, Allasane Ouattara. AFP reports that Gbago and Bedie decided to join forces because of an “urgent need to work for a return to a definitive and durable peace in Ivory Coast,” they said in a joint statement following Gbagbo’s visit to the Daoukro, which is Bedie’s stronghold.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria