Mauritius has issued a class four warning – the highest weather alert – because a cyclone is approaching the Indian Ocean island. The BBC reports that Tropical storm Batsirai has also been upgraded to an intense tropical cyclone to reflect its strength. The weather is expected to deteriorate further with rainfall over the whole island. The cyclone should pass at its closest point at 16:00 local time (GMT 12:00) at around 120km (75 miles) from Grand Bay, a tourist resort in the north.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho