Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa has dismissed State Security Minister Owen Ncube with “immediate effect for conduct inappropriate of a Minister of Government”. While the exact details of what that behaviour was are unclear, News24 reports that Ncube, who is under sanction by the US government, was until recently viewed as a close ally of Mnangagwa, having come into government as provincial minister in the Midlands after the November 2017 coup. Prior to that, Ncube had been in the ruling Zanu-PF’s youth structures in the Midlands, which is Mnangagwa’s political base and as state security minister, was in charge of the dreaded Central Intelligence Organisation.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho