Namib Mills on Thursday announced that the prices of bread, maize meal, rice, instant porridge products, sugar and pasta are set to increase as of 25 April 2022 as a result of the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine having exacerbated already increasing global food and energy costs. Ukraine and Russia represent around 10 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively, of global wheat production, and nearly 30 per cent of all wheat exports come from these two countries. In addition, China is facing its worst wheat crop in decades after severe flooding and is planning to buy much more of the world’s dwindling wheat supply.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho