The Namibian Correctional Services has announced the implementation of Community Service Orders, a non-custodial sentencing option in which an offender serves his or her sentence by performing a specified number of hours of unpaid community service. Speaking at a media conference on Friday at Mariental, NCS Commissioner-General Raphael Hamunyela said the option for sentencing is intended for offenders who have minor offenses and will be implemented in three Magistrates of Mariental, Malthahöhe, and Aronos. Hamunyela said the CSOs have the potential to save the government much-needed resources by lowering the costs of custodial care.
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho
- Namibia, Botswana border post slows logistics industry