United States President Donald Trump, facing calls for his removal from office, turned from controversy to ceremony on Thursday as he awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to golfers Annika Sorenstam from Sweden, South Africa’s Gary Player and Babe Didrikson Zaharias who is regarded as one of the greatest American athletes of all time. The trio join Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Charlie Sifford and Tiger Woods as the only golfers to receive the award but Player’s acceptance of the honour is not without controversy as even his eldest son, Marc thinks his nine-time major champion father should refuse it. “I wish my father would simply & politely decline this “award” at this time. Tone deaf. In denial. Wrong!! Marc tweeted in Thursday.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria