Nearly half of the 206 protected areas in Central Africa are under threat from the oil and gas industries, a report by the Central African Forest Observatory (OFAC) said. If mining is included, it swells to 60 percent or some 800,000 square kilometers. The protected areas of Central Africa cover 15 percent of the land area and five percent of the marine area of the region.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria