President Cyril Ramaphosa is widely expected to extend the Social Relief of Distress Grant. He is likely to announce the extension during his State of the Nation Address. The grant expires in March and calls for the introduction of a permanent Basic Income Grant have intensified. Treasury says 46 percent of the population currently receives a social grant of some sort. Extending the R350 grant would cost the country R35-billion per year.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho