President Cyril Ramaphosa is widely expected to extend the Social Relief of Distress Grant. He is likely to announce the extension during his State of the Nation Address. The grant expires in March and calls for the introduction of a permanent Basic Income Grant have intensified. Treasury says 46 percent of the population currently receives a social grant of some sort. Extending the R350 grant would cost the country R35-billion per year.
- Chart of some of the World’s deadliest earthquakes
- Pop Culture biggest influencer on African youth, according report by Africa no Filter
- Mali government gives head of UN peacekeeping mission 48 hours to leave the country
- Ethiopian government sends $90 million to Tigrayan capital to help restart banking services
- South Africa records two confirmed cases of cholera