Rwanda’s prime minister says the first batch of asylum seekers from the UK “will arrive soon” and that everything is ready to host them. Edouard Ngirente told BBC journalists on Wednesday evening that the pilot scheme was well-informed and intended. Under the $148m scheme, some asylum seekers will be sent to the central African country during a five-year trial. Refugee organisations have criticised the plan as cruel. But Ngirente said that “people will appreciate it once done”.
- Plans Retrench Civil Servants Not Key: Scrap Deputy Ministers, Governors, SOEs, Cut Cabinet Ministers
- Zambia warns against anti-gay protest during Harris visit
- India celebrates birth of Namibian cheetah cubs
- Russia begins strategic nuclear missile exercises
- SA Food retailers pricing being scrutinised