Murder rates in South Africa were almost 9% higher in the final quarter of 2021 than in the same period of 2020, according to police. They’ve also presented the latest statistics on sexual violence, noting a 9% reduction in the number of reported sexual offences and 7% in reported rapes over the same period. The country’s Police Minister Bheki Cele said on Friday that specialist “gender-based violence desks” will be up and running in all police stations around the country by the end of March.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho