A South African ministry is reviewing a decision to erect a massive flag monument at Freedom Park in the capital, Pretoria. Sports, Arts, and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa on Thursday said the review follows public outcry over the project’s cost – estimated to be $1.4m. On Monday, the ministry confirmed plans to install the massive flag and flag pole, to be known as the South African National Monumental Flag, after getting parliamentary approval. Some have however criticised the 100-meter high flag monument as a vanity project.
- Plans Retrench Civil Servants Not Key: Scrap Deputy Ministers, Governors, SOEs, Cut Cabinet Ministers
- Zambia warns against anti-gay protest during Harris visit
- India celebrates birth of Namibian cheetah cubs
- Russia begins strategic nuclear missile exercises
- SA Food retailers pricing being scrutinised