South Africans must conclude from president Cyril Ramaphosa’s remarks this week on BEE that the ANC government has learned nothing from the catastrophic failure of the race-based empowerment policy. This, Newsflash reports, is the viewpoint of a spokesperson of the Institute of Race Relations, Hermann Pretorius. He says research by the institute shows clearly that a system like the IRR’s economic empowerment for the disadvantaged based on disadvantage, itself would be a better option to gain equality.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria