The Somali government says it has killed more than 130 fighters from the Islamist militant group al-Shabab – including top commanders. Reuters reports that a joint operation was carried out with Somalia’s international partners, which include the US military. Over the last six months the al-Shabab group has lost swathes of territory as the result of an operation led by pro-government forces. An information minister said 136 jihadist fighters had been killed in a joint operation with Somalia’s international partners.
- Plans Retrench Civil Servants Not Key: Scrap Deputy Ministers, Governors, SOEs, Cut Cabinet Ministers
- Zambia warns against anti-gay protest during Harris visit
- India celebrates birth of Namibian cheetah cubs
- Russia begins strategic nuclear missile exercises
- SA Food retailers pricing being scrutinised