President Cyril Ramaphosa last night read South Africans the riot act, lambasting the nation for “letting their guard down” and “failure as a people to simply take responsibility” for the rapid spread of Covid-19. Times Live reports that an emotional Ramaphosa appeared close to shedding a tear during his announcement, placing the country on alert level three on recommendations made by the National Coronavirus Command Council, President’s Coordinating Council and cabinet. As the country prepared to usher in the New Year, Ramaphosa said there was little to celebrate because there were nearly 27,000 South Africans who had died from Covid-19.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria