The revenues of Egypt’s Suez Canal reached US$6.3 billion in 2021, the highest in the canal’s history, while also recording the largest annual net tonnages of 1.27 billion tons, compared to 1.17 billion tons in 2020, an increase of 8.5 percent. CGTN Africa quotes the Chairman of the Suez Canal Authority, Osama Rabie, as saying that a total of 20,694 ships passed through both directions of the canal, compared to 18,830 ships in 2020, with an unnamed official stressing that the records reflect the flexibility of the SCA in dealing with crises caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho