More than 30 websites in Mozambique – including that of the defence ministry – were down on Monday after being targeted by hackers. “Hacked by Yemeni hackers” was the message across the websites, with an image of a man wearing a headscarf and brandishing a machine gun. Herminio Jasse, the head of Mozambique’s National Institute of Electronic Government confirmed the cyberattack and said that the problem had been resolved. The BBC reports that analysts have called on the government to strengthen cybersecurity amid fears that the attack was carried out by jihadists.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho