Zimbabwe’s former finance minister, Tendai Biti, who is vice president of the newly-formed Citizens Convergence for Change, formerly the MDC-Alliance, was on Monday detained for several hours while campaigning for upcoming legislative by-elections in Harare amid fears of a fresh wave of opposition arrests. The AFP news agency reports that Biti is the favourite to reclaim his Harare East seat in the March 26 vote after he was recalled from parliament last April.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho