Based on the data released by the United Nations World Tourism Organization global international tourist arrivals more than doubled in January 2022 compared to January 2021. All Africa reports that Europe, the Americas and the Middle East were among the best performers as Africa followed after increasing its tourism traffic by 51 percent. Africa had though registered a drop of 69 percent in tourist arrivals in 2021 compared to 2019 so complete recovery has not yet been attained, while the recent spike in oil prices and rising inflation are making accommodation and transport services more expensive, adding extra pressure on businesses, consumer purchasing power and savings, the UNWTO warned.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho