The United States and Russia have sparred over the Ukraine crisis at the UN Security Council, with US ambassador, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, telling the council during a special open session on Monday that a Russian invasion of Ukraine would threaten global security. Russia’s UN envoy, Vasily Nebenzya, meanwhile accused Washington and its allies of drumming up the threat of war despite Moscow’s repeated denials of a planned invasion. Nebenzya once again said Ukraine should be barred from joining NATO and slammed Western military support for Kyiv, saying that it is fuelling the conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho