The head of a significant United States business group that represents 14,000 companies including Exxon Mobil Corp, Pfizer Inc and Toyota Motor Corp urged senior US officials to consider removing President Donald Trump from office after supporters of the outgoing president stormed the US Capitol. Al Jazeera reports that Trump has 13 days remaining in office before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on January 20 but National Association of Manufacturers President and CEO Jay Timmons called on Vice President [Mike] Pence, who was evacuated from the Capitol, to seriously consider working with the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove him, saying Trump “incited violence in an attempt to retain power, and any elected leader defending him is violating their oath to the Constitution and rejecting democracy in favour of anarchy”.
- Coffee prices soar as Brazil is hit by bad weather
- Sending in the army doesn’t solve the underlying issues in South Africa says academic
- Namibia still assisting drought-stricken Angolans
- Military not a magic bullet: South Africa needs to do more for long term peace
- BioNTech sets its sights on Malaria