The head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has warned that restricting access to abortions “drives women and girls towards unsafe ones”. Al Jazeera reports that Tedros tweeted the comment on Wednesday, shortly after a leaked draft US Supreme Court opinion indicated that Roe v Wade, a landmark ruling that legalised abortion nationwide, could soon be overturned but did not specifically reference the leak or Roe v Wade. “Women should always have the right to choose when it comes to their bodies and their health. Access to safe abortion saves lives,” he said.
- Chart of some of the World’s deadliest earthquakes
- Pop Culture biggest influencer on African youth, according report by Africa no Filter
- Mali government gives head of UN peacekeeping mission 48 hours to leave the country
- Ethiopian government sends $90 million to Tigrayan capital to help restart banking services
- South Africa records two confirmed cases of cholera