The World Bank has approved a Covid-19 linked $750m development policy loan to SA to protect the poor and support economic recovery from the pandemic, a statement from the National Treasury said on Friday. The country has been hit hard by four waves of infection that killed close to 94,000 people and infected 3.5-million in Africa’s worst caseload. Successive lockdowns meant to protect people have led to the closure of thousands of businesses, swelling an army of unemployed as SA’s jobless rate hit records in 2021.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho