The World Bank has approved a Covid-19 linked $750m development policy loan to SA to protect the poor and support economic recovery from the pandemic, a statement from the National Treasury said on Friday. The country has been hit hard by four waves of infection that killed close to 94,000 people and infected 3.5-million in Africa’s worst caseload. Successive lockdowns meant to protect people have led to the closure of thousands of businesses, swelling an army of unemployed as SA’s jobless rate hit records in 2021.
- South Africa set to unveil three-dimensional technology demonstration project
- Tanzanian government seize life stock from indigenous Maasi herders for conservation area and trophy hunting
- Algeria to move away from dependence fossil fuels
- United States one of South Africa’s biggest trading partners
- Rebels clash with DR Congo government troops