Since Monday, social media has been awash with claims that there was a market for human toes in Zimbabwe with reports saying one could make as much as N$640 000 for the body part. News24 reports that the rumour mill indicated that dealers in the capital, Harare, made money by selling human toes to buyers who needed them for ritual purposes. Zimbabwe’s deputy minister of information, Kindness Paradza, says though that on investigation the entire thing was a hoax that was unfortunately taken seriously, especially elsewhere in Africa where certain assumptions and stereotypes of Zimbabweans may be held.
- Plans Retrench Civil Servants Not Key: Scrap Deputy Ministers, Governors, SOEs, Cut Cabinet Ministers
- Zambia warns against anti-gay protest during Harris visit
- India celebrates birth of Namibian cheetah cubs
- Russia begins strategic nuclear missile exercises
- SA Food retailers pricing being scrutinised