Zimbabweans are set to cast their votes in key parliamentary and local government by-elections tomorrow that have the potential to set the tone for next year’s national elections. There are wide expectations that Zimbabwe’s opposition will be able to build on its earlier successes and capitalise on the deteriorating political and economic conditions in the country to break ZANU-PF’s authoritarian control since 1980, but in an article you can read on the News Blog page of the Future Media website, two Zimbabwean lecturers caution that it’s important not to exaggerate the impact of Saturday’s poll.
- American beats Russian to lead UN telecoms agency
- World Heart Day 2022: Experts identify significant gaps in awareness, diagnosis and prevention of heart failure in the Middle East and Africa
- More Ugandan troops killed in helicopter crash
- Bank of England intervenes in bond market
- Dangerous pattern of abuse in Lesotho